04 October 2008

Stealth Chicken Shelter for an Ohio "City" and "Suburban" Hen House

Yes, yes I know. Many cities and suburbs do not allow the keeping of poultry within their boundaries - and this isn't going to change that. Assuming you are still determined to be an "Urban Farmer" or "Urban Sustainable Living" practitioner read on.

The HenCondo is a chicken stealth chicken coop for the city. It looks like a trash can shelter that can be moved and will hold 2 to 3 hens (more if bantams). Recycled products are used in it's construction, and it can easily be moved over fresh "pasture" (lawn) as often as needed.

Roosters with their crowing are obviously a bad idea. A larger "HenSpa" version is also available. Check it out - fun idea.

Some cool Urban Farming sites that include poultry info:

Garden Girl TV (one of my favorites)
City Chickens (New York City)

I've owned as many as 65 chickens as well as other poultry, and they are fun. Their social interactions are interesting to watch, and there are some beautiful varieties. Mix the manure into your weeds, kitchen scraps and clippings for some fantastic compost. They eat kitchen scraps as part of their diet, and nothing beats fresh eggs. I currently have 10 and intend to get 6 more in the spring. If you get some - enjoy! I don't consider myself an expert but feel free to email me with any basic questions.

No comments: